From the 19th-26th March, London will play host to the First Quantum Flux Footballum Equinox Fest! (Along with – superpositionally and in relative simultaneity – Amsterdam, Carrara, Italy and all other longitudes around the world!)
Three-sided football (3SF) is an intriguing variation of football, played with three teams on a hexagonal pitch. It was supposedly devised in the 1960s by the Danish artist Asger Jorn, in order to explain his philosophy of “triolectics”. Jorn wrote several essays explaining the concept but, as he admitted himself, struggled to define it using the written word. By providing the example of three-sided football, Jorn felt he was better able to give meaning to the flavour and texture of his method.
While it is not known whether Jorn ever participated in a real game of three-sided football, a number of matches have been played and recorded over the last twenty years. During this time the game has spiralled far beyond its mysterious origins, captivating a diverse range of players with its unique collision of sport, art and non-linear game theory. Matches have sprung up from Belarus to Bogotá, Melbourne to Malaysia, Berlin to Bilbao, yet it is the visit to London of one of 3SF’s most renowned coaches, Redas Dirzys from Lithuania, that provides us with a wonderful opportunity to now further develop this fascinating activity in several new, experimental directions at once!
For a full programme below, or download: FQFFEF Anti-Programme
Download a flyer here:
First Quantum Flux Footballum Equinox Fest (FQFFEF)
Anti-Programme, London, March 17-25th, 8 AoP (2016 Vulg.)
March 17th through 25th – General All Out FluxFootballum Coordinated Strike – Three-sided footballers of the world are invited to take over London as they see fit. Apparently random and spontaneous three-sided football matches spring up across the city. Nightly co-ordination meetings to be held 6pm, Divus, Enclave 5, 50 Resolution Way, Deptford.
- Saturday March 19th, noon – Moving the Goalposts, 3-Sided Football Match, Greenwich Observatory, intervening in the imperial control of time and space. Goals fixed to bikes, continuously changing location, rotating across the meridian, uniting east with west in a spiral motion – the onset of Jorn’s complexity vandalism.
- Sunday March 20th, noon – Quantum Superimposition London (c)Up Wahdat of 3SF Kathiral, Greenwich Park (a psychic anchor of absolute time). Superimposition of 99 players for one game of 9 teams consisting of 11 players each.
- Monday March 21st 6.30pm, The Joker, or ‘Psychogeographical’ Poker, Divus, Enclave 5, 50 Resolution Way, Deptford. Culmination of a 3 year game, played with found cards.
- Monday March 21st, Midnight – Thugs and Gorillas Match. Deptford Creek Footbridge (On Deptford-Greenwich Border), commemorating 40 year temporal superposition of George Maciunas (1975 NYC) and Martin Zet’s bone and head breaking thuggery (Deptford, 2015).
- Tuesday March 22nd Trivium Reclaiming Match, 1pm, Westferry Gore Octagon, reactivating Three-Sided Football’s pedagogical role in conveying the trivial arts, later suppressed in favour of the proto-Masonic Quadrivium.
- Thursday March 24th, (time secret), 3-Sided Exorcism of Serious Culture and White Supremacy, Tate & Lyle Gallery, London. A Zone of Proletarian Development deep in enemy territory.
- Friday March 25th BURN BABY BURN! Divus London, Enclave 5, 50 Resolution Way, Deptford. Closing Artefacts Manifestation and Fest Closing Celebration.
Coincidental Events, Unworkshops and Experiments
- March 17th-26th – Durational Unworkshop in Applied Triptography (everywhere). A triolectical form of photography. The subsequent exposures will be Situchemically developed to form a superimpositional triolectical image, doing away with the monoperspectival representation of our experiments.
- Monday March 21st, 12-3pm – Do Knot Workshop (Situationist Basket-Weaving), Henryson Road, Brockley. Practical examination of commonalities between quantum knots, the folk knots of the world and the situ-analysis of Alexandre-Théophile Vandermonde, through plastic experimentation. Topology meets Twister – Contact theNXTPA (at) gmail.com for more details.
- Wednesday March 23rd, The Knight’s Detour: Unworkshop in 3-Sided Trigomanic Chess Development & the Travelling Salesman’s Dilemma. Experimental unworkshop in the construction of n-sided chess boards and pieces (Situmetry), building upon discussions around triolectically extending Abu Zakariya Yahya ben Ibrahim al-Hakim’s Knight’s Tour and Gherasim Luca’s Cubomania – through which the chessboard is derived – into the two other forms of regular tessellation on a Euclidean plane (Hexamania and Trigomania) and beyond, towards further dimensions, into the streets and to the stars – Contact theNXTPA (at) gmail.com for details.
- Thursday March 24th – عرس مبارک पत्र: Karl Marx UrSéance देश: Highgate Cemetery काल: Vernal Equinox Full Moon 8PC – Contact: dx (at) antisystemic.org for meet up points and times.
- Friday March 25rd day/evening – Unworkshop in Situgestion (‘the Psychogeographer’s Cookbook’). ‘Recipes’, in the form of found lists and materials collected over the course of a dérive, the results of which form a set of instructions/constraints for the cooking of a meal to be shared between the participants and public at the festival closing ceremony.
- Date TBC – Introduction to Strategic Optimism Football’s Ongoing Experiments in Archaeomathematics. Ludic experiments to trial SOF’s theories as to an alternate pre-Euclidean mathematical paradigm, operative in the Neolithic era, from which 3-sided football derives. Compelling archaeological evidence demands the rigorous testing of a number of the different shaped balls that may once have been used for football, prior to their Masonic suppression in favour of the Platonic solids and the sphere – Contact strategic.optimism.football (at) gmail.com for more details).
- Date TBC – Three-Sided Football Games in the Labyrinth. Investigating the notion that the game was once common practice at labyrinths. To be tested locally at Crystal Palace Maze, the labyrinthine passages leading from Blissett Street to Greenwich Park and at historically more significant labyrinths situated at Saffron Walden, Essex and on the top of St. Catherine’s Hill in Winchester – Contact strategic.optimism.football (at) gmail.com for more details.